Elder Abuse & Neglect

Adult Protective Services

Ottawa County Department of Job and Family Services is responsible for investigating reports or alleged abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults (ORC 5101:0-20-02.)


Abuse: The infliction upon an adult by himself or others of injury, unreasonable confinement, intimidation or cruel punishment with resulting physical harm, pain, or mental anguish.

Neglect: Failure of an adult to provide for himself the goods or services necessary to avoid physical harm, mental anguish, or mental illness or the failure of a caretaker to provide such goods or services.

Exploitation: The unlawful or improper act of a caretaker using an adult or his resources for monetary or personal benefit, profit or gain.

Who is protected?

The law applies to any person 60 years of age or older within this state who is handicapped by the infirmities of aging or who has a physical or mental impairment which prevents the individual from providing for his own care or protection. The person must live in an independent living arrangement (examples: private home, apartment, or boarding home).

How can a report be made?

Reports of known or suspected abuse, neglect, and exploitation can be made by phone, mail, fax or in person at 8043 West State Route 163, Suite 200, Oak Harbor, OH 43449. Our phone number is (419) 898-3688.

  • Agency hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am until 4:30pm
  • Emergency after hour referrals can be made by calling the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office at (419) 734-4404
  • All reports to Adult Protect Services are kept confidential.

What happens after a referral is made?

If the situation presents conditions in which someone is at risk of immediate and irreparable physical harm or death, it will be considered an “emergency” and contact will be made within 24 hours. Contact will be initiated within 3 days on reports deemed “non-emergencies.” A face-to-face visit will be conducted with the alleged adult victim and an assessment will be completed to determine if the person is at risk and the need for protective services will be evaluated.

What services can be provided?

Each situation is unique. The social worker will assist the individual to determine the least restrictive method to improve/correct the satiation and also keep him/her safe. The APS workers try to coordinate services with other community agencies (home health, CHORE services, home delivered meals, emergency response, representative payee and/or guardianship services) that are appropriate to the individual’s needs. If the individual is deemed “competent” (by a medical doctor) and he/she does not wish to receive protective services, intervention cannot be made.